Sunday, November 13, 2011

Beet - Carrot Salad

Beets are one of my favorite new discoveries. I never had them as a child, probably for one o f two reasons. Either my mother didn't know what to do with them since she probably never ate them as a child, or she was exposed to them in canned form when she came to the US. Either way, I never had them until the first time my friend and I held a vegan dinner party. We made couscous with beets and artichokes, and it was positively amazing. I've been a beet fan ever since.
When I found out I would get beets this week in my csa box, I was thrilled.
However, I spoiled my appetite by snacking, which is probably one of my worst habits. So instead, I just made a simple salad of roasted beet and carrot :)

Ingredients:
1 beet
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 scallion, green part only, minced
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp feta cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, because I'm lame and from the US. Wrap the beet in foil completely, and roast in the oven until it can be easily pierced by a complete weakling such as myself. If you happen to be lucky enough to have more upper body strength than a 2 year old, it takes about 45 minutes to an hour. When done, allow to cool, and then peel.
It's ridiculously easy.
Roughly chop the beet, then chop in a food processor with the carrot. Top with scallion, feta cheese and a bit of olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment