Saturday, November 26, 2011

Vegetarian chili

I had a few roommates in college who would occasionally make tons of chili. The apartment would be filled the aroma, the windows would steam over, I would draw bizarre pictures with my fingers, and we would all enjoy huge bowls of steaming, delicious, turkey or beef chili.

Haha, I'm just kidding, I never ate it. It smelled ridiculously amazing but I was probably all NAW DUDES I DON'T EAT ANIMAL FLESH UNLESS I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO EAT AND IT'S FREE. WAIT IT'S FREE? I ATE ALREADY ACTUALLY BUT HOLY SHIT IT SMELLS AMAZING.
I don't know.

Fun bonus fact: I've never had non vegetarian chili.
I used to make vegetarian chili all the time, so I kind of just pour in whatever I can find.

Ingredients:
1 can diced tomatoes
1 jalapeno, diced
1 head garlic, roasted
1/2 cup kidney beans, soaked if you like
1 (yellow) bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chili powder
2 cups stock, plus more water

Yeah, it's ugly. It's chili though.. what do you expect?

  • Cook onion in a soup pot with olive oil until translucent 
  • Add kidney beans, stock, and water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook, adding water as needed. It took me about an hour and a half for them to get tender. 
  • Squeeze roasted garlic into the soup pot. Add the remaining items to the pot, and simmer until vegetables are tender. 
  • Eat with CORNBREAD IF YOU GOT IT 


No comments:

Post a Comment