Sunday, January 8, 2012

Lemony Collards Greens and Lentil Soup

I don't think that until this last year I had ever eaten collard greens. My family isn't much for hearty greens; I don't think we ever had kale, mustard greens, or the like when I was a child. I definitely fell in love with kale and chard during my last bought of vegetarianism. But collard greens are somehow something I have never tried until recently. I'm not really sure why. Most stores that stock kale or chard seem to have collards. I think part of that is I personally haven't seen a lot of recipes that call for them?
Regardless, a bunch of showed up in my CSA box, all green and vibrant. 
Greens and lentil soup time? 
Hell yeah.
 The greens were really pretty before I chopped them up. Oh wells. 


Ingredients: 
1/2 onion , chopped 
1/2 cup lentils 
1/2 lb collard greens? Not entirely sure because I lack a scale and I just used the bunch I had
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil 
1/2 a lemon 
1 tsp red chili flakes

Cook chopped onion in olive oil until translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add minced garlic, and cook for a few minutes more. Clean and remove the ribs from the collard greens. 


 
It looks less than appetizing, but the flavor was excellent :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment