Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year's Day Good Fortune Soup

I like traditions. I think they can be fun and exciting. However, the only tradition we have involving New Year's is watching the Rose Parade. As a child, I can remember waking up early to make sure I saw it all...even though they play it over and over all morning. I don't watch it anymore. My parents still do, though. 

 


Yeah, my bowl wasn't big enough. If I ever cleaned my sinks, I could have used one of them :( 

I used the recipe from Homesick Texan. It looked delicious and it had a delightful reasoning for why it would bring good fortune :) 

The differences between the original recipe and what I did are as follows:

  • I halved the recipe EXCEPT the collards. That was doubled.
  • Cooked the beans from dried in a little bit of broth. Used the broth as the base. 
  • Removed the bacon grease
  • Removed the ham
The result? It was a little bit too acidic. I think that if there had been ham, it would have soaked up the vinegar and it would be perfect. However, I liked it very much. I would definitely make it again sans vinegar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment