Thursday, September 22, 2011

Cauliflower and Pesto Gratin

I really dont like cauliflower. I don't like the flavor, I don't like the texture. I don't even like the color. Maybe my mom has rubbed off on me and I don't trust white things?
And yet, time after time, I buy it. It just looks so invitingly vegetal that I forget how much I genuinely dislike it. I invariably throw away at least half of it. Every time, I look up a half dozen recipes in an attempt to mask the flavor.

It's just hopeless.

I just don't like cauliflower.


Ingredients:

1 cup cooked Cauliflower (I steamed it for ~8 minutes)
Basil Leaves (I used about a spring)
2 cloves Garlic
(handful of ) Pinenuts
Grated parmsean

Serving size: one

Grease serving dish. Chop basil, garlic, and pinenuts together until they're mixed together well. My friend makes the most amazing rustic vegan pesto I've ever tasted. I vainly attempted to recreate it using the last of my pinenuts because I thought it would be able to mask the cauliflower taste sufficiently. It was only slightly successful. I layered the cauliflower with bits of that and a tiny bit of grated parmsean. Top with parmsean cheese.

Though somewhat filling, I ended up rounding out the rest of my dinner with half a bag of popchips (In the words of an ex's roommate: "What are popchips? Motherfucking delicious") and a mediocre bowl of radish/cabbage/miso soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment